Skip to main content

Emory is Kind Da Offside

There is a raging debate in Canada over the legal status of marijuana, and no where more so than in Vancouver B.C., home to some of the most loud mouthed and aggressive potheads in the country. Now, I don't care for drugs, but I will allow that there is room for debate over how such substances ought to be handled. The usual methods of debate should be good enough - flyers, newspapers, political debates, and so on. There have been some changes to our laws recently, notably the change to allow the consumption of pot to relieve pain, on a doctor's orders. The changes we have seen to date are not good enough for many of those who want full liberalization. Many of them want what they want right now. Which brings me to the subject of the Da Kind Cafe in Vancouver, and Mark Emory of the Marijuana Party, who is currently residing in a Saskatchewan jail. Both the cafe and Emory have taken their debates over the line. They are offside. Emory, in a dumb stunt, intentionally got himself arrested in order to prove he was an idiot. Oh, sorry, he wanted to prove that we are idiots. Boring story so far, I know. But now that Emory is in jail, he is using his time in the "slammer" to blog about his experiences, which you can read about on the B.C. Marijuana Party website. The Vancouver Province is reporting today, in an article by John Ferry (subscriber only) that Emory has used his internet access to ask his followers to picket and harass a woman in the neighborhood of the Da Kind cafe, simply because she was concerned that there was an elementary school nearby. Emory is reported to have asked people to picket her and call her a "Nazi." Her van has had a nail put into the tire. Even if no direct connection can be made between Emory's fatwa and the harassment she is now under, why is Emory allowed to have access to his blog while he is in jail? I could not find the entry asking marijuana activists to go on the offensive, so I maybe lazy and blind, or perhaps it has been deleted. There is no right to the internet in Canada. Denying Emory the internet would do not great harm. Do we allow more serious criminals the internet? Hell's Angels, the Mob, Triads? Maybe Al-Quaeda? They would likely be in a higher security jail, but we are so lame on justice issues I'm not much reassured. As for Da Kind, and even the Marijuana Party generally, does no one ask who their major donors are? How much can you raise from people immersed in the drug culture? There are working people who use the stuff but they are probably responsible enough to vote for larger parties because they know the country faces more serious problems. The responsible marijuana activist would do well to follow that route too. I suspect the people with the greatest interest in forcing the issue are the dealers themselves - Emory is an admitted dealer, for example. The operators of Da Kind are reported to have criminal records for fraud. Would it surprise anyone if they were merely a front for a larger, more motivated party that can't be seen to be trying to change public policy?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reuters joins CNN on the bench

Makes room for CanWest to join the majors Kudos to CanWest for calling a terrorist a terrorist . Many, including The Last Amazon , will be happy to hear it. Reuters is among the worst of the major western news services, where I would also place the BBC and the CBC. Unsurprisingly, Reuters is not happy about the changes CanWest made to Reuters wire stories: Our editorial policy is that we don't use emotive words when labeling someone," said David A. Schlesinger, Reuters' global managing editor. "Any paper can change copy and do whatever they want. But if a paper wants to change our copy that way, we would be more comfortable if they remove the byline." Mr. Schlesinger said he was concerned that changes like those made at CanWest could lead to "confusion" about what Reuters is reporting and possibly endanger its reporters in volatile areas or situations. "My goal is to protect

Where credit is due

A good'un from Sawyer Brown . Thank God for You Well I've been called a self-made man Girl don't you believe it's true I know exactly how lucky I am When I'm gettin' this close to you It's high time I'm giving some praise To those that got me where I am today Chorus I got to thank momma for the cookin' Daddy for the whuppin' The devil for the trouble that I get into I got to give credit where credit is due I thank the bank for the money Thank God for you A strong heart and a willing hand That's the secret to my success A good woman - I try to be a good man A good job - Lord I know I've been blessed I'm just a part of a greater plan It doesn't matter which part I am Chorus I got to thank momma for the teachin' Daddy for the preachin' The devil for the trouble that I get into I got to give credit where credit is due I thank the bank for the money Thank God for you

A very limited form of inquiry

Real Clear Politics is carrying commentary on James Q. Wilson's WSJ article on ID (got that?). Wilson, the respected social scientist, gets it mostly right when he says that ID is not science because it can't be tested: So ID is not science. Does this mean that science, in any way, implies the non-existence of God? No. Does this mean that belief in God is irrational and that we should all be "free thinkers"? No. Does this mean that it is impossible to arbitrate between various theories of the existence/non-existence of God and come to some reasonable conclusions? No. Does this mean that we cannot say that humanity is meant to exist? No. In other words, rationality outside of science is quite possible, and has been around for a long time. How do you think humanity invented science in the first place? We surely did not do it scientifically. Science as we know it is the product of millennia of philosophical debate -- from Aristotle to Lakatos. Science depends upon phi