Skip to main content

Enjoying it

This would make a fine Christmas present. We saw Saved! last night and I must confess I didn't really understand why it got under some people's skins the way it did. The movie seemed to say that you can't use religion as a bully pulpit, or as a shield for your own agrandizement or power. It said that our relationship with God is not about mouthing the right words or doing the right things robotically. Today's reading backs that up:
The Pharisee took up his position and spoke this prayer to himself, 'O God, I thank you that I am not like the rest of humanity-- greedy, dishonest, adulterous--or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week, and I pay tithes on my whole income.' But the tax collector stood off at a distance and would not even raise his eyes to heaven but beat his breast and prayed, 'O God, be merciful to me a sinner.' I tell you, the latter went home justified, not the former; for whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and the one who humbles himself will be exalted."
I have to be careful in this post because it is not my intent to attack anyone. I'm only asking honest questions. I must admit, however, that the appeal of the kind of Christianity in the film is a mystery to me. The best I can do is suppose that there are some people who cannot abide not knowing if they are saved or not. There seems to be a danger in this stance, however, of the 'elect' putting themselves above their neighbor, rather than helping him. Mandy Moore yelling that she was "filled with God's love" and throwing the Bible at Jena Malone epitomized that sentiment for me. It also seemed that any human failing was "proof" that the person in question was not, in fact, saved after all, and that lead to a great deal of tension and robotic behavior. Catholics are usually more accepting of mystery. Mystery, I think, ought to act as a motivator - for reflection and for action, for longing those small, graceful movements of the heart through which faith grows. It seems to me that the mystery and the longing are bound together and that you can't have one without the other. The smoking nuns pictured above would today be considered to be sinning against the fifth commandment (thou shalt not kill), as we now know smoking is very unhealthy. At the time of the photo (I'm guessing it was in the 1940's or 50's) smoking might have been allowed, depending on the order they belonged to and what the occasion was. The action in both cases is the same, but the attitude towards God is different with the new information, and that changes the meaning of the act. The Catholic takes in new information and responds accordingly trusting that if one is sincere in repentence forgiveness will be given. The other point of view seems to be always under threat. Note: Ignorance is not an excuse, as we are obliged to find out as much as we can about what is permitted and what is not. You can't be saved by Sloth. Posted by Hello

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reuters joins CNN on the bench

Makes room for CanWest to join the majors Kudos to CanWest for calling a terrorist a terrorist . Many, including The Last Amazon , will be happy to hear it. Reuters is among the worst of the major western news services, where I would also place the BBC and the CBC. Unsurprisingly, Reuters is not happy about the changes CanWest made to Reuters wire stories: Our editorial policy is that we don't use emotive words when labeling someone," said David A. Schlesinger, Reuters' global managing editor. "Any paper can change copy and do whatever they want. But if a paper wants to change our copy that way, we would be more comfortable if they remove the byline." Mr. Schlesinger said he was concerned that changes like those made at CanWest could lead to "confusion" about what Reuters is reporting and possibly endanger its reporters in volatile areas or situations. "My goal is to protect

Where credit is due

A good'un from Sawyer Brown . Thank God for You Well I've been called a self-made man Girl don't you believe it's true I know exactly how lucky I am When I'm gettin' this close to you It's high time I'm giving some praise To those that got me where I am today Chorus I got to thank momma for the cookin' Daddy for the whuppin' The devil for the trouble that I get into I got to give credit where credit is due I thank the bank for the money Thank God for you A strong heart and a willing hand That's the secret to my success A good woman - I try to be a good man A good job - Lord I know I've been blessed I'm just a part of a greater plan It doesn't matter which part I am Chorus I got to thank momma for the teachin' Daddy for the preachin' The devil for the trouble that I get into I got to give credit where credit is due I thank the bank for the money Thank God for you

A very limited form of inquiry

Real Clear Politics is carrying commentary on James Q. Wilson's WSJ article on ID (got that?). Wilson, the respected social scientist, gets it mostly right when he says that ID is not science because it can't be tested: So ID is not science. Does this mean that science, in any way, implies the non-existence of God? No. Does this mean that belief in God is irrational and that we should all be "free thinkers"? No. Does this mean that it is impossible to arbitrate between various theories of the existence/non-existence of God and come to some reasonable conclusions? No. Does this mean that we cannot say that humanity is meant to exist? No. In other words, rationality outside of science is quite possible, and has been around for a long time. How do you think humanity invented science in the first place? We surely did not do it scientifically. Science as we know it is the product of millennia of philosophical debate -- from Aristotle to Lakatos. Science depends upon phi