Skip to main content

Things to Ponder

I am taking tonight off, but I think the following links might be of interest to regulars here. I suppose I could just as easily have used this, but I'll persist in pounding the keyboard because I'm nothing if not old fashioned. (Tip: Anal Philosopher) Bill Vallicella is on a theological tear over at The Maverick Philosopher. First, he offers an comparative examination of Naturalism and Theism. He suggests, as I tried to do in my debates with Bound By Gravity's Andrew, that both of these are belief systems. Naturalist often seem to be in a state of denial about this. I liked this syllogism:
Every belief is either true or false No brain state is either true or false So, No belief is a brain state.
Vallicella also discusses the problem of evil in response to a question from the Anal Philosopher, asking why the Asian Tsunami does not shake belief in God. Bill responds in various ways, showing the strengths of the Theistic response. For example:
If someone argues from the fact of evil to the nonexistence of God, that person assumes that there is indeed an objective fact of evil, and thus, an objective distinction between good and evil. A sophisticated theist can counterargue that there cannot be an objective distinction between good and evil unless God exists.
There's a reason Theism has been around for thousands of years; it has seen and survived disasters before. This is not because, as some yokels like to claim, "everyone before Woodstock was stupid." The Maverick even has a dynamite quote from C.S. Lewis: How to avoid God. I stumbled onto an interesting new blog tonight, Diachronic Agency. While I was there I found good advice for certain unnamed bloggers (certainly not me!) who never really attempt to engage those they oppose. They make no attempt to understand the premises from which their opponents work and when they are unable to reach them, they slam them as stupid right / left whingers. Diachronic says, of this phenomenon:
I am, in sum, calling us cowards: you, me, and all of us who take solace in the thought that those big meanies with whom we would like to argue simply won't let us. Arguing is difficult enough for people who live in reality and confront each other as respected equals. It is impossible for cowards who live in self-exculpating fantasies and address not people but their own preconceptions. This (if you think about it) is as it should be.
The Anal Philosopher has an interesting question about homosexuality. I'm interested in hearing responses. John Ray responds to the recent flurry of debate on the Trinity by claiming that Arians had it right. Ray is alternatingly wonderful and excruciating to read. Arians, for those not in the know, deny that Christ was anything but a man. They therefore deny the incarnation and the resurrection. If you do that, however, you are no longer as Christian, as Paul tells us:
if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain. 15 We are even found to be misrepresenting God, because we testified about God that he raised Christ, whom he did not raise if it is true that the dead are not raised. 16 For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised. 17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19 If in this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
There is nothing wrong with Paul's logic, and that means Arianism is monotheistic, but it is not Christian. My response to the Trinity? I'm not going anywhere near the debate about substance and person. I think it is plain that if you accept Christ, you must accept that he is risen. And if you accept this, you also necessarily also accept God the Father, and the Spirit, which he said he left us. So how can God be one? I think the best response is that it is a mystery. I don't think this is a cop out. We do well to dwell on the mystery of the incarnation. It's a marvelous thing to ponder. It reminds us that we don't know it all, that we don't have all the tools needed, that God is very, very big and very, very mysterious. It reminds us that no man is an island; that interrelatedness is important. We don't fully grasp the concepts of time or space so why is it so hard to accept that we fail to grok God's nature? Humility isn't that painful, is it? Ok, now I go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reuters joins CNN on the bench

Makes room for CanWest to join the majors Kudos to CanWest for calling a terrorist a terrorist . Many, including The Last Amazon , will be happy to hear it. Reuters is among the worst of the major western news services, where I would also place the BBC and the CBC. Unsurprisingly, Reuters is not happy about the changes CanWest made to Reuters wire stories: Our editorial policy is that we don't use emotive words when labeling someone," said David A. Schlesinger, Reuters' global managing editor. "Any paper can change copy and do whatever they want. But if a paper wants to change our copy that way, we would be more comfortable if they remove the byline." Mr. Schlesinger said he was concerned that changes like those made at CanWest could lead to "confusion" about what Reuters is reporting and possibly endanger its reporters in volatile areas or situations. "My goal is to protect

Where credit is due

A good'un from Sawyer Brown . Thank God for You Well I've been called a self-made man Girl don't you believe it's true I know exactly how lucky I am When I'm gettin' this close to you It's high time I'm giving some praise To those that got me where I am today Chorus I got to thank momma for the cookin' Daddy for the whuppin' The devil for the trouble that I get into I got to give credit where credit is due I thank the bank for the money Thank God for you A strong heart and a willing hand That's the secret to my success A good woman - I try to be a good man A good job - Lord I know I've been blessed I'm just a part of a greater plan It doesn't matter which part I am Chorus I got to thank momma for the teachin' Daddy for the preachin' The devil for the trouble that I get into I got to give credit where credit is due I thank the bank for the money Thank God for you

A very limited form of inquiry

Real Clear Politics is carrying commentary on James Q. Wilson's WSJ article on ID (got that?). Wilson, the respected social scientist, gets it mostly right when he says that ID is not science because it can't be tested: So ID is not science. Does this mean that science, in any way, implies the non-existence of God? No. Does this mean that belief in God is irrational and that we should all be "free thinkers"? No. Does this mean that it is impossible to arbitrate between various theories of the existence/non-existence of God and come to some reasonable conclusions? No. Does this mean that we cannot say that humanity is meant to exist? No. In other words, rationality outside of science is quite possible, and has been around for a long time. How do you think humanity invented science in the first place? We surely did not do it scientifically. Science as we know it is the product of millennia of philosophical debate -- from Aristotle to Lakatos. Science depends upon phi