Skip to main content

Lenten Reflection

Artwork by Juanita Y. Kaufman Posted by Hello Lent is not the most popular Christian season, but it affects all of us differently. As someone who generally seeks out quiet and reflective time, I think I get away lighter than some. I make a point of doing without something that I enjoy, not because it is easy, but because I understand and appreciate the value of it. I actually think this is more important now than it was an medieval times because today we are constantly told through advertising that "we deserve it" and through politics that "we have a right to X, Y and Z." Deny it we may, but this is kind of thinking is pervasive. Big picture Christianity is a necessary counterweight to the democratic capitalist world we live in; it reigns in their excesses by reminding us that there is more to the world than merely more. The ancients hated democracy, thinking it doomed to be a mob voting its' interest today. Democracy as we have known it needs voters capable of looking at more than present self interest. And capitalism unchecked is more than happy to destroy tomorrow's workers and inventors for a dollar today. A healthy and long living capitalism needs to see beyond this quarter's bottom line, to see that it arose, and it stands on, the shoulders of healthy families. I think it should be obvious that someone who can only say "yes" is living like a slave. Power comes from having the strength to say no. Lent is an aid and an encouragement to self control and self control is basic for anyone who wishes to be a giving person. You can't give what you do not have. Small picture This is only my second Lent. Last year I gave up coffee and I plan to do so again this year. Coffee seems to me to be a good starting point. It is not so big that I am doomed to fail, it will give me some extra cash to donate when Lent is over. Coffee is a daily ritual in this house, so doing without it allows me to confront myself a few times each day. I have also decided to increase my weekly tithing during these fourty days. I chose this for many reasons. This has been a challenging year for us money wise. We are a family in which even smaller purchases have to be weighed carefully. We're young, we both work, and the demands on our income are large as we try to get this household established. Learning to say no to the frivolous or the merely nice, and yes to the meaningful, is a terrific skill. I also appreciate the work that is done through the church. I want to see children get better religious and moral education, and I want modern culture to have a just and able critic. We all need one of those. Christianity is about voluntary giving and rights talk is about demanding. It's not hard to see where too much demanding will take us. It would make wage and tax slaves of us all. I like a challenge. I can can put up with the shrouded church and the missing alleluia's. My waist can do with smaller portions and my resolution can always use a workout. Although I will miss the things that will be put aside I know that they will be even richer when they return in a few weeks. That first coffee at Easter will be marvelous, as will the crashing, rousing alleluia that lies ahead. The shocking truth is that absence makes the sweet sweeter, and you'll never hear that good advice from a politician or a vendor. ***** Mark Shea has a few words about Lent here. When is the blog coming back?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mirror of the just man

Ecce Homo I haven't done a quote from Pope Ratzinger's Introduction to Chistianty in a while and even though I have finished the book there are still one or two passages I want to share, including - perhaps even especially - this one. When I first began to look over what Christianity teaches, to look at the gospel story and to try penetrate why it has been so compelling to so many for so long, this was one of the things that leapt out at me. I was happy to see our Pope confirm it. Expanding on the Apostles Creed where it says "... suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried," Ratzinger writes: The fact that when the perfectly just man appeared he was crucified, delivered up by justice to death, tells us pitilessly who man is: Thou art such, man, that thou canst not bear the just man - that he who simply loves becomes a fool, a scourged criminal, an outcast. Thou art such because, unjust thyself, thou dost always need the injustice of the n...

Last minute christmas suggestions

Suggestions fror the coming Christmas season: Loreena McKennit , Songs for the Season . Even though McKennit has not released an album in something like a decade, I've only just discovered her and she's amazing. This little EP has only five songs on it and Canadians can pick it up on iTunes for about $4 and change. Amazon wants ten US bucks... Richard Proulx and the Cathedral Singers, Catholic Latin Classics . It's not a Christmas album per se, but it'll sound terrific. Magnificat . This is a really nice daily missal. Fourteen issues a year include two special editions for Holy week and Christmas. Each issue has all of the masses for each day of the month, and a couple of features about historical artworks, poems, and faith issues. These are really nice and I'm glad my wife has deemed me worthy of one.

Redemptionis Sacramentum

Thank you to Rick and Kristina and others who commented on my post about our parish's liturgical meeting this past weekend, and to Tony , who sent a very supportive e-mail. Rick and Kristina pointed me towards a document called Redemptionis Sacramentum , which will be quite helpful, I think. Looking back at the Easter mime incident, for example, I can see issues with Chapter 3, sections 58 to 63. A summary of the document can be found here .