Skip to main content

The only person in the room with no clothes on

Frederica Mathewes-Green is a former flower child and a pretty fine essayist. If you haven't been introduced yet, here's your chance. In this piece, she speaks freely about how the transmission of our culture's inherited wisdom about sex has broken down.
Here's where I think my generation did the next generations a disservice. I was part of that hippie generation that very deliberately rejected the values of the older generation that came before us. Part of this was the "sexual revolution," an insistence on sexual freedom. I think that, for us, "freedom" had a defiant quality; we were rebelling against something. I think that for young people thirty years later, it's a milder kind of freedom. It's like the freedom to choose between cheese-flavored and barbecue-flavored tortilla chips. It's a consumer freedom. It looks like sex is something you can select, take home, consume, and forget about.
But I think this seriously underestimates the deeper levels of meaning that sex has. Given the primal and complex role that sex has in the life of the human animal, it involves much more than just consuming pleasure. It's tangled up with all the deeper issues of trust, security, and loneliness. My generation just dismissed all that, as if it weren't there. As a result, we have not prepared our children to deal with it. The result is that they can get blindsided: You think you're just having fun and discover that something bad is happening to your heart. It was this breezy attitude toward the sexual revolution that lay behind so much of the divorce in my generation. That's why so many of our children grew up without dads, or lived through their parents' divorce (and why so many of their children will as well): because my generation decided that you can change partners when the mood strikes, that you can make a commitment, break it, and make a new one, and that the whole meaning of sex is consumer pleasure. We abandoned our children. Now they're growing up, and we haven't given them much guidance about how to do a better job. Many young people are afraid of marriage because they're afraid of divorce, and at the same time they really long for a safe, secure, happy home, even though they have no idea how to make one. Everything you hear in ads and entertainment is telling you that your goal is to wake up next to someone gorgeous tomorrow morning. That's the rationale of consumer sex. But I think what humans really want is to wake up next to someone kind, fifty years from tomorrow morning. My generation has spread the idea that sex is about power rather than vulnerability. While there has always been a pattern of men treating women as conquests, the sexual revolution led women to think in the same way, that making men desire them was evidence of their power. But that doesn't have anything to do with love; it can even be the opposite of love. I recently read a review of a book titled Strip City, written by a woman, Lily Burana, who traveled across the nation working at strip clubs. She says that we're living in an era of "sex-positive feminism." She calls herself a "gender warrior," and says that when she dances, she can feel "all the hearts in the room gathered into the palm of my hand." Well, that's a lot of power. Yet she doesn't feel tenderness toward those gathered hearts. The reviewer says that Burana "relished taunting men because she is revolted by their erotic neediness." It's a battle, for this "gender warrior." Make war, not love. Here's something else. Burana says that her work represents new liberation for women's sexuality. She says we live in a period when "the notion of female desire is being re-evaluated." But does stripping have anything to do with the woman's sexual desires? It looks like it's all about male desire, provoking and despising and ridiculing that. Once again, sex means male desire. For women, stripping isn't about a deeper understanding of their own sexuality, but about a substitute thrill: the experience of power. A power that doesn't have much to do with love. And it's a funny kind of power. Dancers work in depressing places that stink of mildew and ammonia, exposing themselves to seedy old men. It's no great achievement if you get a guy to look at your body. Any girl could do that. The dancers are all interchangeable, and nobody cares about their name or history or personality. Nobody looks at their faces. An ex-stripper once told me, "I had to ask myself, if I had all the power, why was I the only person in the room with no clothes on?"
Everything you hear in ads and entertainment is telling you that your goal is to wake up next to someone gorgeous tomorrow morning. That's the rationale of consumer sex. But I think what humans really want is to wake up next to someone kind, fifty years from tomorrow morning. The decisions you make today, and tomorrow — and tomorrow night — will have everything to do with whether that happens for you or not. It happened for me. I have been married thirty-one years, and until the end of my life I'll have beside me the man who fell in love with me when I was nineteen. If I get old and cranky, if I get breast cancer, if I get Alzheimer's, he'll stick with me, and I won't be alone, and I'll do the same for him. In this way we show the presence of God to each other, and grow into his likeness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reuters joins CNN on the bench

Makes room for CanWest to join the majors Kudos to CanWest for calling a terrorist a terrorist . Many, including The Last Amazon , will be happy to hear it. Reuters is among the worst of the major western news services, where I would also place the BBC and the CBC. Unsurprisingly, Reuters is not happy about the changes CanWest made to Reuters wire stories: Our editorial policy is that we don't use emotive words when labeling someone," said David A. Schlesinger, Reuters' global managing editor. "Any paper can change copy and do whatever they want. But if a paper wants to change our copy that way, we would be more comfortable if they remove the byline." Mr. Schlesinger said he was concerned that changes like those made at CanWest could lead to "confusion" about what Reuters is reporting and possibly endanger its reporters in volatile areas or situations. "My goal is to protect

Where credit is due

A good'un from Sawyer Brown . Thank God for You Well I've been called a self-made man Girl don't you believe it's true I know exactly how lucky I am When I'm gettin' this close to you It's high time I'm giving some praise To those that got me where I am today Chorus I got to thank momma for the cookin' Daddy for the whuppin' The devil for the trouble that I get into I got to give credit where credit is due I thank the bank for the money Thank God for you A strong heart and a willing hand That's the secret to my success A good woman - I try to be a good man A good job - Lord I know I've been blessed I'm just a part of a greater plan It doesn't matter which part I am Chorus I got to thank momma for the teachin' Daddy for the preachin' The devil for the trouble that I get into I got to give credit where credit is due I thank the bank for the money Thank God for you

A very limited form of inquiry

Real Clear Politics is carrying commentary on James Q. Wilson's WSJ article on ID (got that?). Wilson, the respected social scientist, gets it mostly right when he says that ID is not science because it can't be tested: So ID is not science. Does this mean that science, in any way, implies the non-existence of God? No. Does this mean that belief in God is irrational and that we should all be "free thinkers"? No. Does this mean that it is impossible to arbitrate between various theories of the existence/non-existence of God and come to some reasonable conclusions? No. Does this mean that we cannot say that humanity is meant to exist? No. In other words, rationality outside of science is quite possible, and has been around for a long time. How do you think humanity invented science in the first place? We surely did not do it scientifically. Science as we know it is the product of millennia of philosophical debate -- from Aristotle to Lakatos. Science depends upon phi