Skip to main content

Books have arrived

My books arrived today. Here are my selections and why I chose them:
  1. C.S. Lewis and the Catholic Church, by Joseph Pearce. Pearce seems to be making a career out of literary biographies. I read and enjoyed his book on Tolkien when Lord of the Rings movies were out. This one examines how it is that Lewis was a high church man and yet was never Catholic (unlike Cardinal Newman, for example, who famously jumped from the Anglican ship). I am also looking at his book on Chesterton.
  2. The Fourth Crusade, by Jonathan Phillips. The fourth Crusade never actually made it to the Holy Land. For some reason or other, they sacked Constantinople instead. This is one of the major reasons for the first split in Christian history, the one between East and West. There simply has to be a story here.
  3. A Mighty Fortress: A History of the German People, by Steven Ozment. There's a lot of German and germanic culture in my family. I'd like to understand it in a wider and broader scope.
  4. The History and Future of the Roman Liturgy, by Denis Crouan, S.T.D. The Mass is filled to the brim with meaning and history and I really want to get to know it better. I'm considering Ratzinger's book on the liturgy for a future purchase.
  5. A History of Philosophy, vol. 2: Augustine to Duns Scotus, by Frederick Copelston. You didn't think I would stop this series after only the first volume, did you? I've read a history of philosophy in six volumes that was good enough for me at the time, but now I think I'm ready for a deeper look. This series is well regarded and the author is a Jesuit to boot.
  6. A History of Philosophy, vol. 3: Ockham, Bacon, and the beginning of the Modern World, also by Frederick Copelston
This ought to keep me out of trouble for some time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hiatus will be blogged

This hiatus thing isn't going to plan. As I'm reading (books and blogs) I find things I think are interesting, or things I would like an opinion on, and bingo, my hiatus is in a shambles. So, *coughs*, until further notice, I'm blogging again. The main editorial difference that I can see coming from my few weeks away is that I do not expect to resume posting six out of seven days a week. There could be, at any time and without warning, a break of a week or two between posts. Really, I think that is the only way I can start to get some books behind me, and is also inevitable in the summer season when one wants to get out and enjoy it all. Here's a few things that got my attention this past week. Chris Taylor is blogging once again and has recruited an air force for the Red Ensign Brigade. Heh. Dennis Prager asks, Are you a liberal? Anglicans and Catholics are getting closer to reconciling -over the role of Mary in the Christian faith. Quote: A working group c...

Ghost in the machine

In writing up this post I have to mention that I am very impressed with the quality of discussion that one finds on blogs. This truly is a remarkable medium. Thanks go to all three of the bloggers mentioned here for providing such good reading and thinking for the rest of us to try and learn from. I have not had a chance to read all of the entries linked to here, but I do intend to. ***** George Will compares two views of man in his latest column . One is novelist Ian McEwan, who places the following words into the mouth of the leading character in his latest novel, Saturday : Endless and beautiful forms of life, such as you see in a common hedgerow, including exulted beings like ourselves, arose from physical laws, from war or nature, famine and death. This is the grandeur. And a bracing kind of consolation in the brief privilege of consciousness. This character is a neurosurgeon. The quote reminds me that there may be some truth to the observation that those in the biological and...