Skip to main content

Unlikely and delightful

Father Jim Tucker, who is a young priest and a libertarian, reflects:
I've found it interesting to notice the extremely divergent reactions provoked by what might (now) be called "over the top" elements of the Catholic religion. I'm not referring such extravagantly over-the-top dogmas as the Incarnation of God the Son or the General Resurrection, but rather of non-essential elements from the man-made periphery. Papal tiaras, for instance, or episcopal cappe magne, or birettas, or fiddleback chasubles. One could add, in addition to these sartorial extravagances (which, prior to our lackluster day, would once have hardly raised an eyebrow among Catholics), processions with holy relics, odd local customs, Trappist sign language, bone churches, Epiphany chalk, or blessings of animals on St Francis' Day. As far back as I can remember, I've always loved these things. And many readers have responded to the blogposts on these subjects in much the same way as one of our altar boys responded when I showed him the cappa magna photo collection, "That is SOOOOOOO cool!" A few others respond in precisely the opposite way with an earnestness that is a bit frightening. These things are seen as frivolities that are worthless at best, and perhaps downright pernicious. I suppose people feel as if they distract from the deadly serious project of not falling into the everlasting pits of fire and brimstone. Or they are gross indulgence in vainglory. Or they make religion seem to be out of touch with the modern world, which is far more interested in making money and other such important things. Or they symbolize the obfuscating power of the clerical elite. "Would Jesus wear a cappa magna?" some sour-faced reformer might ask. Why bother with birettas when little babies are being killed by abortion? Granted, none of these things will save one's soul, and if all one believes in is watered silk and choral evensong, one will probably lose it. But it's a false dichotomy to say one must choose between the external trappings of religion and the interior stuff that has eternal significance. There's no reason in the world why one can't have both, and Catholicism has traditionally kept them both together. To be unimpressed by a triple tiara certainly does not make one a bad Catholic, but I wonder whether zealously opposing all these little grace notes in the religious score might not. To my mind, at any rate, all these things speak of the magnanimity and exuberance of a religious spirit that spills out into the world in all sorts of unlikely and delightful ways. They knock us out of the prosaic and linear existence of everyday life and remind us that old-fashioned religion, in addition to being good, saving, and true, is also charming, merry, and even whimsical.
I share this view and would add that what these things do is attempt to recall in us that truth and beauty, properly understood, are related. There will be times when this will be hard to see, when our minds and our hearts will be challenged. Those are the times when we need to recollect. When the truth looks ugly, or when beauty looks false, then something is wrong with the way we are seeing and thinking. It's hard correct this, and even harder to accept the need for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reuters joins CNN on the bench

Makes room for CanWest to join the majors Kudos to CanWest for calling a terrorist a terrorist . Many, including The Last Amazon , will be happy to hear it. Reuters is among the worst of the major western news services, where I would also place the BBC and the CBC. Unsurprisingly, Reuters is not happy about the changes CanWest made to Reuters wire stories: Our editorial policy is that we don't use emotive words when labeling someone," said David A. Schlesinger, Reuters' global managing editor. "Any paper can change copy and do whatever they want. But if a paper wants to change our copy that way, we would be more comfortable if they remove the byline." Mr. Schlesinger said he was concerned that changes like those made at CanWest could lead to "confusion" about what Reuters is reporting and possibly endanger its reporters in volatile areas or situations. "My goal is to protect

Where credit is due

A good'un from Sawyer Brown . Thank God for You Well I've been called a self-made man Girl don't you believe it's true I know exactly how lucky I am When I'm gettin' this close to you It's high time I'm giving some praise To those that got me where I am today Chorus I got to thank momma for the cookin' Daddy for the whuppin' The devil for the trouble that I get into I got to give credit where credit is due I thank the bank for the money Thank God for you A strong heart and a willing hand That's the secret to my success A good woman - I try to be a good man A good job - Lord I know I've been blessed I'm just a part of a greater plan It doesn't matter which part I am Chorus I got to thank momma for the teachin' Daddy for the preachin' The devil for the trouble that I get into I got to give credit where credit is due I thank the bank for the money Thank God for you

A very limited form of inquiry

Real Clear Politics is carrying commentary on James Q. Wilson's WSJ article on ID (got that?). Wilson, the respected social scientist, gets it mostly right when he says that ID is not science because it can't be tested: So ID is not science. Does this mean that science, in any way, implies the non-existence of God? No. Does this mean that belief in God is irrational and that we should all be "free thinkers"? No. Does this mean that it is impossible to arbitrate between various theories of the existence/non-existence of God and come to some reasonable conclusions? No. Does this mean that we cannot say that humanity is meant to exist? No. In other words, rationality outside of science is quite possible, and has been around for a long time. How do you think humanity invented science in the first place? We surely did not do it scientifically. Science as we know it is the product of millennia of philosophical debate -- from Aristotle to Lakatos. Science depends upon phi