Skip to main content

Letters

It's been a while since I plugged a blog, but this one's cool. Kristina dropped by NWW last night and left a few comments that lead me back to Letters from a Young Catholic (the name is taken from a book by George Wiegel, for those not in the know). It turns out that she's a lower mainland student, a Catholic, and has the makings of a very readable blogger. Well, that's if the blog lives very long. It seems she's busy being a student and teaching and stuff. My new habit of almost bumping into other bloggers is now at two occurrences. We almost attended the event in Mission that Christina was at on Saturday, but we went to lector training instead. The week before that, I was on Mount Baker in Washington State the day after Peter of Diner Table Don'ts fame. He's got some nice pictures of the trip (especially the first one; blow it up) on his photoblog. And I'm not even slightly jealous about that shiny new Mustang convertible. Nope. Not me, uh huh... Oh - my first job of reading at Mass was last night and it went fine. Next time up, I will work on tightening up microphone placement so as to be audible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hiatus will be blogged

This hiatus thing isn't going to plan. As I'm reading (books and blogs) I find things I think are interesting, or things I would like an opinion on, and bingo, my hiatus is in a shambles. So, *coughs*, until further notice, I'm blogging again. The main editorial difference that I can see coming from my few weeks away is that I do not expect to resume posting six out of seven days a week. There could be, at any time and without warning, a break of a week or two between posts. Really, I think that is the only way I can start to get some books behind me, and is also inevitable in the summer season when one wants to get out and enjoy it all. Here's a few things that got my attention this past week. Chris Taylor is blogging once again and has recruited an air force for the Red Ensign Brigade. Heh. Dennis Prager asks, Are you a liberal? Anglicans and Catholics are getting closer to reconciling -over the role of Mary in the Christian faith. Quote: A working group c...

Ghost in the machine

In writing up this post I have to mention that I am very impressed with the quality of discussion that one finds on blogs. This truly is a remarkable medium. Thanks go to all three of the bloggers mentioned here for providing such good reading and thinking for the rest of us to try and learn from. I have not had a chance to read all of the entries linked to here, but I do intend to. ***** George Will compares two views of man in his latest column . One is novelist Ian McEwan, who places the following words into the mouth of the leading character in his latest novel, Saturday : Endless and beautiful forms of life, such as you see in a common hedgerow, including exulted beings like ourselves, arose from physical laws, from war or nature, famine and death. This is the grandeur. And a bracing kind of consolation in the brief privilege of consciousness. This character is a neurosurgeon. The quote reminds me that there may be some truth to the observation that those in the biological and...