Skip to main content

An End to Suffering

In response to my second excerpt from C.S. Lewis' Screwtape Letters, Babbling Brooks wrote up a nice post (which takes up scarcity from an economic angle that I'm not likely to cover anytime soon but which is quite valid) and tells us, as he winds up, that:
I'm not a religious man, partly because I've always found organized religion falls back on fear all too quickly to motivate good behavior. Fire and brimstone, the wrath of God, and bad little boys go to hell - not my idea of spiritual inspiration. But I do believe in God.
I want to take this up because it is a very common perception of Christian doctrine, as is the idea that Heaven is escapist, which I attempted to deal with here. People ought to be excused for thinking that judgment is a negative because there do seem to be churches that teach it that way. There are other interpretations, however, and once again I'll use Lewis to make the point - he's so much better at this than I am. The selection that follows is from The Great Divorce, also one of Lewis' very best. The Great Divorce tells a strange tale in which the narrator gets on a fantastic bus that takes him on a journey through Heaven and Hell. (Haven't we all had commutes like that?) The narrator has a guide (most stories like this do; Dante used Virgil in his Inferno) based on a contemporary writer that Lewis knew and whose company he enjoyed - George MacDonald. MacDonald is less well known today, but there is at least one blog dedicated to him. Back of the North Wind has not been updated since early in December but it is a good one. Blogger Donal Grant discusses Hell here, here and here. The last post might be the best if you're short of time. I hope to see him back blogging soon. In The Great Divorce, the narrator asks if Heaven and Hell are only states of mind. MacDonald answers him like this:
"Hush," he said sternly, "Do not blaspheme. Hell is a state of mind - ye never said a truer word. And every state of mind, left to itself, every shutting up of the creature within the dungeon of its own mind - is, in the end, Hell. But Heaven is not a state of mind. Heaven is reality itself. All that is fully real is Heavenly. For all that can be shaken will be shaken and only the unshakeable remains... "Never fear. There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, in the end, 'Thy will be done.' All that are in Hell, choose it. Without that self-choice there could be no Hell. No soul that seriously and constantly desires joy will ever miss it. Those who seek find. To those who knock it is opened." -[emphasis mine]
Later in the book, the narrator is still puzzled about why those in Hell are not rescued. MacDonald's response is worth much reflection:
"Stop it at once." "Stop what?" "Using pity, other people's pity, in the wrong way... Pity was meant to be a spur that drives joy to help misery. But it can be used the wrong way round. It can be used for a kind of blackmailing, Those who choose misery can hold up joy up to ransom, by pity."
The narrator persists and says that "some people on Earth say that the final loss of one soul gives the lie to all who are saved." MacDonald presses on:
"Ye see that it does not." "I feel in a way that it ought to." "That sounds very merciful: but see what lurks behind it." "What?" "The demand of the loveless and the self imprisoned that they should be allowed to blackmail the universe: that until they consent to be happy (on their own terms) no one else shall taste joy: that theirs should be the final power; that Hell should veto Heaven." "I don't know what I want, Sir." "Son, son, it must be one way or the other. Either the day must come when joy prevails and all the makers of misery are no longer able to infect it: or else for ever and ever the makers of misery can destroy in others the happiness they reject themselves... Every disease that submits to a cure shall be cured: but we will not call blue yellow to please those who insist on having jaundice."
The Great Divorce is a short book and well worth the trouble. It basically says that we are not strong enough to enter reality and we are here to build up our strength until we can. The metaphor is that of the Earth as a hospital for sinners, one of most common Christian literary themes. The souls in Hell, on the other hand, draw into themselves deeper and deeper until they almost disappear. They cannot stand one another either. They are all alone, desperately hoping to make the universe conform to them, rather than them to the universe. If I may include bit of Catholicism before I end, Mary is held is great esteem because she said at the Annunciation: "I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reuters joins CNN on the bench

Makes room for CanWest to join the majors Kudos to CanWest for calling a terrorist a terrorist . Many, including The Last Amazon , will be happy to hear it. Reuters is among the worst of the major western news services, where I would also place the BBC and the CBC. Unsurprisingly, Reuters is not happy about the changes CanWest made to Reuters wire stories: Our editorial policy is that we don't use emotive words when labeling someone," said David A. Schlesinger, Reuters' global managing editor. "Any paper can change copy and do whatever they want. But if a paper wants to change our copy that way, we would be more comfortable if they remove the byline." Mr. Schlesinger said he was concerned that changes like those made at CanWest could lead to "confusion" about what Reuters is reporting and possibly endanger its reporters in volatile areas or situations. "My goal is to protect

Where credit is due

A good'un from Sawyer Brown . Thank God for You Well I've been called a self-made man Girl don't you believe it's true I know exactly how lucky I am When I'm gettin' this close to you It's high time I'm giving some praise To those that got me where I am today Chorus I got to thank momma for the cookin' Daddy for the whuppin' The devil for the trouble that I get into I got to give credit where credit is due I thank the bank for the money Thank God for you A strong heart and a willing hand That's the secret to my success A good woman - I try to be a good man A good job - Lord I know I've been blessed I'm just a part of a greater plan It doesn't matter which part I am Chorus I got to thank momma for the teachin' Daddy for the preachin' The devil for the trouble that I get into I got to give credit where credit is due I thank the bank for the money Thank God for you

A very limited form of inquiry

Real Clear Politics is carrying commentary on James Q. Wilson's WSJ article on ID (got that?). Wilson, the respected social scientist, gets it mostly right when he says that ID is not science because it can't be tested: So ID is not science. Does this mean that science, in any way, implies the non-existence of God? No. Does this mean that belief in God is irrational and that we should all be "free thinkers"? No. Does this mean that it is impossible to arbitrate between various theories of the existence/non-existence of God and come to some reasonable conclusions? No. Does this mean that we cannot say that humanity is meant to exist? No. In other words, rationality outside of science is quite possible, and has been around for a long time. How do you think humanity invented science in the first place? We surely did not do it scientifically. Science as we know it is the product of millennia of philosophical debate -- from Aristotle to Lakatos. Science depends upon phi