Skip to main content

For Ross

I was shocked this morning when we were called to a brief meeting. It wasn't the meeting, we have those once a week. It was because the only item on the agenda was that one of my co-workers had passed away yesterday. Ross had been away from work for, I don't know, a month or so. He had skin cancer and was getting treatment was all I heard. There was a card passed around for him when his friends at work heard he was getting down on his prospects. His sister had passed from the same thing. I signed it and I expected to see him not too long after that because he wasn't old or unhealthy looking the last time I saw him. He was probably in his fourties. He came to our office after spending some time in another location for the same company, doing a different job. I remember spending a week with him, training him, and I remember how swamped he felt. He wasn't sure he'd stay. But stay he did. He thanked me for the training long after it was done. I'm now on the list as available to train new staff, perhaps because of his encouragement. He loved hockey and was always talking about the players and the game, even in August. He always smiled at you and said hello. He was older than I and we didn't hang out together. I can't say I knew him well. I think he leaves some kids behind. I can't quite believe it. Reach for the stars while you can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hiatus will be blogged

This hiatus thing isn't going to plan. As I'm reading (books and blogs) I find things I think are interesting, or things I would like an opinion on, and bingo, my hiatus is in a shambles. So, *coughs*, until further notice, I'm blogging again. The main editorial difference that I can see coming from my few weeks away is that I do not expect to resume posting six out of seven days a week. There could be, at any time and without warning, a break of a week or two between posts. Really, I think that is the only way I can start to get some books behind me, and is also inevitable in the summer season when one wants to get out and enjoy it all. Here's a few things that got my attention this past week. Chris Taylor is blogging once again and has recruited an air force for the Red Ensign Brigade. Heh. Dennis Prager asks, Are you a liberal? Anglicans and Catholics are getting closer to reconciling -over the role of Mary in the Christian faith. Quote: A working group c...

Ghost in the machine

In writing up this post I have to mention that I am very impressed with the quality of discussion that one finds on blogs. This truly is a remarkable medium. Thanks go to all three of the bloggers mentioned here for providing such good reading and thinking for the rest of us to try and learn from. I have not had a chance to read all of the entries linked to here, but I do intend to. ***** George Will compares two views of man in his latest column . One is novelist Ian McEwan, who places the following words into the mouth of the leading character in his latest novel, Saturday : Endless and beautiful forms of life, such as you see in a common hedgerow, including exulted beings like ourselves, arose from physical laws, from war or nature, famine and death. This is the grandeur. And a bracing kind of consolation in the brief privilege of consciousness. This character is a neurosurgeon. The quote reminds me that there may be some truth to the observation that those in the biological and...