Skip to main content

Freedom of Religion under attack

From The Globe and Mail via The Last Amazon:
The Knights [of Columbus], adhering to church teaching, which is against homosexual marriage, cancelled a rental contract that had been signed, returned the couple's deposit and paid for both the rental of a new hall and the reprinting of wedding invitations after Ms. Chymyshyn and Ms. Smith complained that invitations listing the hall's address for their reception had been mailed. That was in September, 2003. In October, the couple complained to the Human Rights Tribunal, which heard the case last week.
Something's rotten in Denmark (or Port Coquitlam). The Conservative party's justice critic, Vic Toews, made an interesting point on TV last night. He asked why the courts seem to consistently hold equality rights to trump rights to freedom of religion. It's a good question. I have a question too. Why do so many people hold the view that minorites must support one another? That rights for one group strengthen the rights of all minorities? Doesn't that mean Jewish people ought to support the rights of Nazis in Canada? My point is that support for something ought to be based on its mertis and its truth, and on no other criteria. Interestingly, Global TV is reporting that something like 67% of Canadians want to keep the traditional definition of marriage, and a similar percentage want the issue to go to a referendum. So why do the pointy heads keep telling Stephen Harper that his dissention from the Liberals on this issue is hurting him? If the poll is right, he is the only party leader defending the people of Canada. Jack Layton, for heaven's sake, is insiting that all his NDP members must support the Liberal bill or face consequences. So much for their freedom of religion, which is a Charter Right. Jack says human rights of minorities should never be subject to a majority vote. But Mr. Layton - that is the very question! Is it a human rights issue or not? Are there any limits at all to what the government can rule on and alter?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hiatus will be blogged

This hiatus thing isn't going to plan. As I'm reading (books and blogs) I find things I think are interesting, or things I would like an opinion on, and bingo, my hiatus is in a shambles. So, *coughs*, until further notice, I'm blogging again. The main editorial difference that I can see coming from my few weeks away is that I do not expect to resume posting six out of seven days a week. There could be, at any time and without warning, a break of a week or two between posts. Really, I think that is the only way I can start to get some books behind me, and is also inevitable in the summer season when one wants to get out and enjoy it all. Here's a few things that got my attention this past week. Chris Taylor is blogging once again and has recruited an air force for the Red Ensign Brigade. Heh. Dennis Prager asks, Are you a liberal? Anglicans and Catholics are getting closer to reconciling -over the role of Mary in the Christian faith. Quote: A working group c...

Ghost in the machine

In writing up this post I have to mention that I am very impressed with the quality of discussion that one finds on blogs. This truly is a remarkable medium. Thanks go to all three of the bloggers mentioned here for providing such good reading and thinking for the rest of us to try and learn from. I have not had a chance to read all of the entries linked to here, but I do intend to. ***** George Will compares two views of man in his latest column . One is novelist Ian McEwan, who places the following words into the mouth of the leading character in his latest novel, Saturday : Endless and beautiful forms of life, such as you see in a common hedgerow, including exulted beings like ourselves, arose from physical laws, from war or nature, famine and death. This is the grandeur. And a bracing kind of consolation in the brief privilege of consciousness. This character is a neurosurgeon. The quote reminds me that there may be some truth to the observation that those in the biological and...