Skip to main content

The Revolution of 1982

"... what we are and aspire to be is organized around the protection of equality rights, the protection of minority rights." Irwin Colter, Canada's Justice Minister
Really? Is that "what we are?" Or is that what Canada's elite wants?
The profound change took place with the adoption of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. That was a constitutional revolution of 1982. Without that understanding nothing else can really be appreciated, and that’s where the transformative change took place; with respect to moving from a parliamentary democracy to a constitutional democracy; from the sovereignty of Parliament to the sovereignty of the Constitution; from the court’s as being arbiters of legal federalism to the courts being guarantors of human rights, because we Parliament, vested them with the authority to do so, and perhaps most important with individuals, groups, minorities now having a panoply of rights and remedies to go before the courts and secure protection for these right and remedies. Now individuals, groups and minorities are rights holders. We are rights claimants. Without that context, without an appreciation of the revolutionary change brought by the charter, we can’t understand how we have gotten where we are now…”
Is Coulter saying that Parliament really is bound by the courts? That the notwithstanding clause is illegitimate? That the Constitution was sold under a bait and switch tactic? If that's so, the constitution is illegitimate. But then these guys live on the bait and switch. They were going to do away with the GST, remember? They voted to back traditional marriage, remember? To answer by saying "oh, look at the time" is a bit much. Question for Coulter: Who will protect us from having to provide rights? Rights are not free. They are paid for by accommodation and by blood, sweat and tears. That is why they ought not to be placed out of the reach of elected officials. I would love to see the Liberals thrown out in a defeat that makes 1993 look like a tea party. Mulroney at his worst was nothing like this. I sincerely hope that Paul Martin is the worst Prime Minister I ever have to live under. He's on a pace to replace Trudeau in that regard. Maybe this is next? In the (very) long run little old me wants a constitution that limits government rights and leaves the rest of us largely alone. I want an accountable government, not one that hides behind the skirts of its robed masters, who in turn, through the farce of "living document" readings, become a law unto themsleves. If you belive in what you say, then run on it! Enough of your contempt. Tip: Leftists as Elitists ****** See Peter Rempelia's comments here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reuters joins CNN on the bench

Makes room for CanWest to join the majors Kudos to CanWest for calling a terrorist a terrorist . Many, including The Last Amazon , will be happy to hear it. Reuters is among the worst of the major western news services, where I would also place the BBC and the CBC. Unsurprisingly, Reuters is not happy about the changes CanWest made to Reuters wire stories: Our editorial policy is that we don't use emotive words when labeling someone," said David A. Schlesinger, Reuters' global managing editor. "Any paper can change copy and do whatever they want. But if a paper wants to change our copy that way, we would be more comfortable if they remove the byline." Mr. Schlesinger said he was concerned that changes like those made at CanWest could lead to "confusion" about what Reuters is reporting and possibly endanger its reporters in volatile areas or situations. "My goal is to protect

Where credit is due

A good'un from Sawyer Brown . Thank God for You Well I've been called a self-made man Girl don't you believe it's true I know exactly how lucky I am When I'm gettin' this close to you It's high time I'm giving some praise To those that got me where I am today Chorus I got to thank momma for the cookin' Daddy for the whuppin' The devil for the trouble that I get into I got to give credit where credit is due I thank the bank for the money Thank God for you A strong heart and a willing hand That's the secret to my success A good woman - I try to be a good man A good job - Lord I know I've been blessed I'm just a part of a greater plan It doesn't matter which part I am Chorus I got to thank momma for the teachin' Daddy for the preachin' The devil for the trouble that I get into I got to give credit where credit is due I thank the bank for the money Thank God for you

A very limited form of inquiry

Real Clear Politics is carrying commentary on James Q. Wilson's WSJ article on ID (got that?). Wilson, the respected social scientist, gets it mostly right when he says that ID is not science because it can't be tested: So ID is not science. Does this mean that science, in any way, implies the non-existence of God? No. Does this mean that belief in God is irrational and that we should all be "free thinkers"? No. Does this mean that it is impossible to arbitrate between various theories of the existence/non-existence of God and come to some reasonable conclusions? No. Does this mean that we cannot say that humanity is meant to exist? No. In other words, rationality outside of science is quite possible, and has been around for a long time. How do you think humanity invented science in the first place? We surely did not do it scientifically. Science as we know it is the product of millennia of philosophical debate -- from Aristotle to Lakatos. Science depends upon phi