Skip to main content

Absolute fudge

KBJ takes on Jonah Goldberg's question from NRO's The Corner here. Very interesting reading. Oh, and the question? Are liberals or conservatives more likely to say that "the ends justify the means?" I think Jackson is spot on in his conclusions:
Liberals are more likely than conservatives to allow the ends to justify the means. We might say that while most liberals believe in rights, they take these rights to be defeasible or overridable by sufficiently good ends. Conservatives, it seems to me, are more likely to resist such overriding. If I’m right, then the average conservative is closer than the average liberal to the absolute deontologist [some things are always wrong, no matter what] end of the spectrum.
Liberals are more likely to fudge absolutes (they're so oppressive!), even when presented in the form of human rights (the penumbras and permutations of Roe, anyone?), but Jackson is right to point out that they don't have a monopoly on the practice. The phenomenon of one's "sense of justice overtaking charitable good sense" is common to both, but liberalism has greater conceptual problems with absolutes than does conservatism. Being Rationalists and, I would argue, too confident of their thinking ability, liberals can too easily seek to rationalize anything. Conservatives can fall in this trap as well, but it is harder. This is a small part of why I will choose the 'stupid party' over the 'evil party' every time. This is a big subject, so I can't say exactly where I fall. There's too many issues to consider. Probably I'm a non-absolute deontologist, with a few strong deontologist leanings. I do tend to fall into the middle of the pack on most political scales, albeit with a strong desire to see life, family and community upheld over bureaucracy, "professionalization" and ideology. That makes me mildly right wing over all and very right wing on a few things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hiatus will be blogged

This hiatus thing isn't going to plan. As I'm reading (books and blogs) I find things I think are interesting, or things I would like an opinion on, and bingo, my hiatus is in a shambles. So, *coughs*, until further notice, I'm blogging again. The main editorial difference that I can see coming from my few weeks away is that I do not expect to resume posting six out of seven days a week. There could be, at any time and without warning, a break of a week or two between posts. Really, I think that is the only way I can start to get some books behind me, and is also inevitable in the summer season when one wants to get out and enjoy it all. Here's a few things that got my attention this past week. Chris Taylor is blogging once again and has recruited an air force for the Red Ensign Brigade. Heh. Dennis Prager asks, Are you a liberal? Anglicans and Catholics are getting closer to reconciling -over the role of Mary in the Christian faith. Quote: A working group c...

Ghost in the machine

In writing up this post I have to mention that I am very impressed with the quality of discussion that one finds on blogs. This truly is a remarkable medium. Thanks go to all three of the bloggers mentioned here for providing such good reading and thinking for the rest of us to try and learn from. I have not had a chance to read all of the entries linked to here, but I do intend to. ***** George Will compares two views of man in his latest column . One is novelist Ian McEwan, who places the following words into the mouth of the leading character in his latest novel, Saturday : Endless and beautiful forms of life, such as you see in a common hedgerow, including exulted beings like ourselves, arose from physical laws, from war or nature, famine and death. This is the grandeur. And a bracing kind of consolation in the brief privilege of consciousness. This character is a neurosurgeon. The quote reminds me that there may be some truth to the observation that those in the biological and...