Skip to main content

Links!

This one is for Bishop Henry's critics. This story, from Reuters of all people, says that election coverage was harder on Bush than on Kerry. The Anchoress takes a look at women then and now, in the church and in modern "liberated" times. I like her point:
I don't know if women will ever be completely free or "equal." It seems to me that women can never be free as long as they believe that their freedom lies in the negation of their femininity and the embrasure of all that is masculine. I don't see any freedom in putting on the male, or believing that what is traditionally "male" is therefore empowering and desirable. I don't see freedom in the teeth-grinding frustration that exists in women who believe that they cannot be fully women unless they be "exactly" like men (who aren't all that free, either.) I don't see freedom in believing that one's gender is a mere accident of birth rather than a gift to be explored and embraced and fulfilled. The Creator God does not accidentally Create us. He loves us into being, and "I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans of fullness, not of harm, to give you a future and a hope..." (Jeremiah 29:11) The shrinking violet from MIT, who nearly lost it because Lawrence Summers suggested men and women might be different in nature...Susan Estrich...so many women I could name - they don't seem particularly FREE to me. They seem completely bound and caged in by their ideologies and their feminist sensibilities. They're not free, because they can only behave a certain way, or they don't belong to the club.
Here is JPII on the matter, back in 1995:
Of course, the employment of women outside the family, especially during the period when they are fulfilling the most delicate tasks of motherhood, must be done with respect for this fundamental duty. However, apart from this requirement, it is necessary to strive convincingly to ensure that the widest possible space is open to women in all areas of culture, economics, politics and ecclesial life itself, so that all human society is increasingly enriched by the gifts proper to masculinity and femininity.
According to a new column by Lydia Lorvic, the old feller is in tune with the times too. Irish Law attended a talk Robert P. George gave on due process and judicial activism. Irish's conclusion, swiped from Southern Appeal, is most interesting:
let me boil down their arguments into simple form. Publius: The Constitution's meaning changes with time, and those who determine its new meanings are the Supreme Court Justices. Feddie: If the S. Court justices determine those new meanings, then they and only they -- meaning their will, and only their will -- determine(s) what the ultimate law of the land is. Which means we have an oligarchy. Which is just tyranny by committee.
British comedian Dave Allen died this week. At the risk of dating myself, I used to watch his comedy show a lot as a kid. I'd love to see a repeat just for the memories it would bring back. Yes, I do remember that he told a lot of religious jokes. This is like a sketch from the Dave Allen show, but it's real. From Little Green Footballs, The Incredibly Strange Graduation of the Iranian Female Police Cadets.

Ralph the Sacred River (I dunno, don't ask) has been reading Christopher Tolkien's books on his father's epic, The Lord of the Rings. He offers us a look at how the climax at Mount Doom might have been different. The Pantagruel is an interesting looking new webzine.

This post has been revised, with new content.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reuters joins CNN on the bench

Makes room for CanWest to join the majors Kudos to CanWest for calling a terrorist a terrorist . Many, including The Last Amazon , will be happy to hear it. Reuters is among the worst of the major western news services, where I would also place the BBC and the CBC. Unsurprisingly, Reuters is not happy about the changes CanWest made to Reuters wire stories: Our editorial policy is that we don't use emotive words when labeling someone," said David A. Schlesinger, Reuters' global managing editor. "Any paper can change copy and do whatever they want. But if a paper wants to change our copy that way, we would be more comfortable if they remove the byline." Mr. Schlesinger said he was concerned that changes like those made at CanWest could lead to "confusion" about what Reuters is reporting and possibly endanger its reporters in volatile areas or situations. "My goal is to protect

Where credit is due

A good'un from Sawyer Brown . Thank God for You Well I've been called a self-made man Girl don't you believe it's true I know exactly how lucky I am When I'm gettin' this close to you It's high time I'm giving some praise To those that got me where I am today Chorus I got to thank momma for the cookin' Daddy for the whuppin' The devil for the trouble that I get into I got to give credit where credit is due I thank the bank for the money Thank God for you A strong heart and a willing hand That's the secret to my success A good woman - I try to be a good man A good job - Lord I know I've been blessed I'm just a part of a greater plan It doesn't matter which part I am Chorus I got to thank momma for the teachin' Daddy for the preachin' The devil for the trouble that I get into I got to give credit where credit is due I thank the bank for the money Thank God for you

A very limited form of inquiry

Real Clear Politics is carrying commentary on James Q. Wilson's WSJ article on ID (got that?). Wilson, the respected social scientist, gets it mostly right when he says that ID is not science because it can't be tested: So ID is not science. Does this mean that science, in any way, implies the non-existence of God? No. Does this mean that belief in God is irrational and that we should all be "free thinkers"? No. Does this mean that it is impossible to arbitrate between various theories of the existence/non-existence of God and come to some reasonable conclusions? No. Does this mean that we cannot say that humanity is meant to exist? No. In other words, rationality outside of science is quite possible, and has been around for a long time. How do you think humanity invented science in the first place? We surely did not do it scientifically. Science as we know it is the product of millennia of philosophical debate -- from Aristotle to Lakatos. Science depends upon phi