Skip to main content

Links!

There is a lively debate going on at my wife's blog, Doxology, about (guess what?) Bishop Henry and Paul Martin's ability to take communion. There are two posts, here and here. This is also relevant. This is not good news. Tip: Cross Border Blogger Ever wonder what happened too the 'Arab street'? Me too. Christopher Hitchens takes a look under the hyperbole. The Queen, unintentionally funny. Unbelievable. The Rise of Radical Liberalism - a nice summary of how classical Liberalism has turned itself inside out through the embrace of many things, but especially positive liberty and Jean Jacques Rousseau. An honest journalist. It's becoming clear that this idea is going the way of the dodo:
"Honesty and tenacity (and for that matter, the working class) seem to have taken backseats to the sort of 'snappy news', sensationalism, scandal-for-the-sake of scandal crap that sells. This is not a uniquely Tribune or even newspaper industry problem: this is true from the Atlanta mixing rooms of CNN to Sulzberger's offices in Times Square. Profits: that's what it's all about now. But you just can't realize annual profit returns of more than 30 percent by methodically laying out the truth in a dignified, accessible manner. And it's damned tough to find that truth every day with a mere skeleton crew of reporters and editors."
This sounds like an interesting book. Wiegel writes fine columns too. Ales Raus has created a wikki for those curious to know if a given book is "kosher" with Catholic teaching. It's new and does not have many entries yet, but if people chip in, over time this could be an interesting stop. Finally, Trudeaupia is going on hiatus. That's a shame. Kevin Jaeger's blog was part of the Red Ensign group and it was fun place to stop by. Hope we see you blogging again soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hiatus will be blogged

This hiatus thing isn't going to plan. As I'm reading (books and blogs) I find things I think are interesting, or things I would like an opinion on, and bingo, my hiatus is in a shambles. So, *coughs*, until further notice, I'm blogging again. The main editorial difference that I can see coming from my few weeks away is that I do not expect to resume posting six out of seven days a week. There could be, at any time and without warning, a break of a week or two between posts. Really, I think that is the only way I can start to get some books behind me, and is also inevitable in the summer season when one wants to get out and enjoy it all. Here's a few things that got my attention this past week. Chris Taylor is blogging once again and has recruited an air force for the Red Ensign Brigade. Heh. Dennis Prager asks, Are you a liberal? Anglicans and Catholics are getting closer to reconciling -over the role of Mary in the Christian faith. Quote: A working group c...

Ghost in the machine

In writing up this post I have to mention that I am very impressed with the quality of discussion that one finds on blogs. This truly is a remarkable medium. Thanks go to all three of the bloggers mentioned here for providing such good reading and thinking for the rest of us to try and learn from. I have not had a chance to read all of the entries linked to here, but I do intend to. ***** George Will compares two views of man in his latest column . One is novelist Ian McEwan, who places the following words into the mouth of the leading character in his latest novel, Saturday : Endless and beautiful forms of life, such as you see in a common hedgerow, including exulted beings like ourselves, arose from physical laws, from war or nature, famine and death. This is the grandeur. And a bracing kind of consolation in the brief privilege of consciousness. This character is a neurosurgeon. The quote reminds me that there may be some truth to the observation that those in the biological and...